RV, Outdoor Hospitality Industry News for the Week of June 7Jun 11, 2021
Development news continued to pour in this week as campers have begun pouring into parks across the U.S. and Canada.
I am starting to once again hear chatter about the lack of sites, although the industry is seeing more investment in new construction and expansions than at any other time in its history.
The top news items of this past week are below.
OUTDOOR HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY
ARVC Taking Nominations for ‘Board of Dir.’ Positions
- The nomination period is open for the four voting areas that have openings with three-year terms beginning on Nov. 11.
ADA Compliance Still a Large Issue for Campgrounds
- With numerous studies in the outdoor hospitality industry pointing to the fact that new campers are coming out in droves, it is a reminder that there is still plenty of work to do to ensure that RV parks and campgrounds are accessible for everyone, including those with disabilities.
Nat. Park Visitor Spending Contributed $28.6B in 2020
- According to the National Park Service report, 2020 National Park Visitor Spending Effects, approximately 237 million visitors spent $14.5 billion in communities within 60 miles of a national park. Of the 234,000 jobs supported by visitor spending, 194,400 jobs were in communities located within 50 miles of a park.
‘Collective Retreats’ Raises $23M, Plans to Expand
- The round was led by New York-based investment firm Fireside Investments, outdoor marketplace Outdoorsy and with participation from existing investors, including Revolution’s Rise of the Rest Seed Fund.
FMCA RV Expo Planned in Gillette, Wyo., July 7-10
- The event has been dubbed “The Spirit of Wyoming” in honor of the host state. The owners of more than 1,200 RVs will travel to Wyoming to take part.
PCOA Highlighting Mid-Week Camping Amid Surge
- The PCOA website (pacamping.com), which promotes 232 member campgrounds, has a feature called “Pick A Site” where campgrounds with available reservations for upcoming weekends are listed. This feature is great for campers looking last minute to find a campsite.
Mindset Expert, Hypnotist to Keynote ARVC’s OHCE
- Ricky Kalmon’s is set to perform his high-energy “Leverage Your Mindset” keynote at the conference, using his unique skillset to change the way his audience lives, works and thinks.
Hipcamp, ‘Pitched’ Partner on Expansion into Canada
- Canadian hosts receive all the protections and benefits that the Hipcamp platform offers. They will be eligible for Hipcamp’s Liability Insurance Policy, which protects Hosts for up to $1M CAD. Bookings through the site bring economic opportunity to rural communities and help Canadian farmers, ranchers, vintners, and other landowners create new revenue streams to conserve their land and keep it wild, notes the release.
Ohio’s Kings Island Delays Opening of $27M RV Park
- “Unfortunately, a combination of unfavorable weather, labor and material shortages led to the delayed opening,” said Chad Showalter, Kings Island’s spokesman, in a prepared statement.
Harvest Hosts Grows, Adds ‘Boondockers Welcome’
- The two services will continue to operate independently, but alongside each other, and subscription prices and benefits are not expected to change during the transition. All locked-in pricing will continue to be honored.
RVIA to Host Elkhart Event on Owner Demographic Profile
- Based on the results of the Go RVing RV Owner Demographic Profile and the 2020 RV Buyer Survey, a panel of research, marketing and advertising experts will provide actionable insights into how the RV industry and individual companies can keep the demand for RVs momentum going and continue to bring new consumers into the RV market while also balancing the needs and expectations of current RVers.
Haig Report Shows Q1 Profits are Booming for Dealerships
- Dealership profits jumped 197% in Q1 2021 compared to Q1 2020, reaching record-high levels. The record-level dealership profits is driving higher demand for dealerships.
RV Tech Institute Announces 1st Trade School Partnership
- The RV Technical Institute (RVTI) announced its partnership with Jones Technical Institute (J-Tech) in Jacksonville, Fla.
Nearly Half of Small Businesses Unable to Fill Job Openings
- A record-high 48% of small business owners in May reported unfilled job openings (seasonally adjusted), according to NFIB’s monthly jobs report. May is the fourth consecutive month of record-high readings for unfilled job openings and is 26 points higher than the 48-year historical reading of 22%.
RVDA Releases Exhibitor Information for 2021 Con/Expo
- Prospective vendors can reserve exhibit space for the live event, which also includes virtual booth space that will remain online through Jan. 31, 2022.
NY Times: RVing Means Never Having to Leave Home, Office
- Even before the Academy Award-winning movie “Nomadland,” about a peripatetic RV owner, got people talking about life on the road, the Garretts joined the growing number of households that own an RV. According to Monika Geraci, a spokeswoman for the RV Industry Association, the number is up to 11.2 million in North America.
REV Group Inc. Reports Strong Q2; RV Segment Up 108%
- Consolidated net sales in the second quarter 2021 were $643.6 million, representing an increase of 17.7% compared to $547.0 million for the three months ended April 30, 2020.
Industry’s Recovery Highlights RVIA’s 2020 Annual Report
- The RV Industry Association (RVIA) recently released its annual report for 2020, and to no great surprise, the report shined a bright light on the industry’s recovery from shutdowns in April to having one of the most profitable years in history.
SSI: Retail Sales Up 134% in April, Sets Record at 62,301
- Through April this year there have been 191,967 retail registrations, good for a 68.81% YoY increase of 2020’s 113,718 tally. The previous year-to-date record through April ,at 149,189 units, was recorded in 2018.
Groundbreaking Set for 135K-Square-Foot inTech RV Facility