RV, Outdoor Hospitality Industry News for the Week of July 5Jul 09, 2021
Wow! What a Fourth of July weekend for the outdoor hospitality industry. All reports indicate that RV parks, campgrounds and glamping resorts remained busy.
Some people are shifting their focus towards the fall, with recent trends showing that Halloween is one of the most popular holidays for the outdoor hospitality industry. Many park owners are also expecting weekend and mid-week travel to remain busy even after schools return to session.
The top news items for this past week are below.
OUTDOOR HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY
KOA’s Fourth of July Occupancy Increases 17% YOY
- In Canada, where the recovery from COVID-19 has been slower, occupancy for Canada Day was up nearly 35% from the 2020 holiday.
ARVC Takes Board Nominations Until July 13
- This year there are open positions in Voting Areas 2, 3, 4 and 6. Nominees cannot be from Arizona, Pennsylvania, South Carolina or Wisconsin, as the ARVC bylaws require that all representatives come from different states.
‘RV Lifestyle’ on Rise of the ‘Campground Alternative’
- Because of overcrowding and overbooking, spots in traditional campgrounds during this unprecedented RV boom are often reserved months in advance.
Pelland: Expanding Your Park’s Brand Awareness
- Although there are some innovative concepts within the family camping industry – such as Kampgrounds of America Inc.’s (KOA) new Terramor Outdoor Resort or AutoCamp’s Airstream resorts – most campgrounds are not based upon a type of innovative concept that uniquely commands attention.
Jellystone Announces New Parks in Colo. and Tenn.
- Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park Camp-Resorts’ Western expansion is continuing with the signing of a franchise agreement for a new location in Parachute, Colo.
Nat. Gas Price Average to Increase to $3.25 in July
- “Robust gasoline demand and more expensive crude oil prices are pushing gas prices higher,” said Jeanette McGee, AAA spokesperson.
Q&A: Calif. Park Owner is Striving for More Inclusivity
- This is an excerpt of a Q&A that the National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds did with Ben Jansen, the owner of Lassen RV Resort in McArthur, Calif.
Developers, N.Y. State Parks Get Into Glamping Trend
- “The past year has been our busiest time ever,” says Laura Sink, founder of the Germantown glamping ground, Gatherwild Ranch, which opened in 2016. “There was probably a 30% boost in business for us, although I think it would have been even more significant if we had Wi-Fi here and it could have been a work-from-campsite option.”
Hipcamp is Growing but Faces Regulatory Challenges
- Like gigantic sharing economy platforms Uber and Airbnb which have run into fights over local regulations, Hipcamp has also faced challenges from local municipalities over how land is zoned for use and whether private landowners can become campground operators overnight.
SSI: 65,303 Retail Sales in May; 12th Straight Record Month
- There were 65,303 retail registrations recorded across North America in May 2021, breaking the previous May record of 61,776 set in 2018, good for a 5.7% increase.
RVB Capitol Talk: THOR’s Martin Maintains Positive Outlook
- In this episode of Capitol Talk, Sherm Goldenberg, of RVBusiness, is joined by Bob Martin, president and CEO of THOR Industries Inc., for a conversation about the positive results thus far in 2021, his reasons why the industry will continue to perform well and growing expectations in advance of the upcoming Elkhart RV Open House.
MARVAC Cancels 2021 Fall Detroit RV & Camping Show
- This is the second year in a row the show has been canceled, last year for pandemic-related reasons while this year it’s due to lack of dealer inventory.
Winnebago Names New Head of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
- Jil Littlejohn Bostick will partner with key stakeholders to advance DEI programs and initiatives at Winnebago Industries and will lead the execution of the overall DEI strategy and roadmap.
Camping World Announces Investment in Happier Camper
- Happier Camper Inc. is the developer of the innovative and patented modular van conversion system – Adaptiv for vans.
CEO Cavins: Outdoorsy Boasts 145% Year-to-Date Growth
- Year to date, Outdoorsy has already seen a 145% growth. The demographic is changing, too. About 80% of new bookings were made by Millennials and Gen X.
Go RVing Launches Consumer-Facing Quarterly Newsletter
- Keeping new and potential RVers engaged is top of mind as the supply chain issues persist and manufacturers work to fulfill the needs of dealers who are seeing RVs flying off their lots at an unprecedented pace.
Preparations Underway for RVIA Board of Directors Election