RV, Outdoor Hospitality Industry News for the Week of August 9thAug 09, 2021
The top news items for this past week are below.
OUTDOOR HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY
Newbook Appoints Shaun Cornelius as its New CEO
- Cornelius is an experienced digital growth CEO, with experience as a former senior executive at eBay, and most recently, as managing director at Autotrader/Carsguide.
Cedar Fair Plans to Invest up to $200M for 2022 season
- Richard A. Zimmerman, president and CEO of Cedar Fair, said in a statement that the plan to invest up to $200 million in the company’s properties is “based on positive recent trends and our renewed confidence in the recovery of the business.”
EV Charging Initiative to Help Accelerate EV Growth
- The group’s formation comes after the U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed a $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill that includes $7.5 billion for EV charging stations. It also follows President Joe Biden’s nonbinding target for zero-emission vehicles — battery-electrics, plug-in hybrids and fuel cells — to make up half of all new vehicles sold in 2030.
Census: U.S. Diversifying, White Population Shrinking
- The data offered a mirror not only into the demographic changes of the past decade but also a glimpse of the future. To that end, they showed there is now no majority racial or ethnic group for people younger than 18, as the share of non-Hispanic whites in the age group dropped from 53.5% to 47.3% over the decade.
RVIA Looks at Bills That Impact Outdoor Hosp. Ind.
- So far this year, the association has reviewed nearly 3,600 pieces of legislation and are actively monitoring and lobbying about 200 bills.
Senate Passes $1T Infrastructure Bill, Moves to House
- The measure faces a potentially rocky and time-consuming path in the House, where Speaker Nancy Pelosi and a majority of the nearly 100-member Progressive Caucus have said they will not vote on it unless and until the Senate passes a separate, even more, ambitious $3.5 trillion social policy bill this fall.
Traveler: Drought Carries Crippling Economic Impacts
- It’s no secret that visitors bring badly needed dollars into the nation’s parks, forests, monuments and gateway communities. Last year alone, the National Park System’s 423 units poured $28.6 billion into the country’s coffers, according to the NPS. But as temperatures continue to heat up and drought plagues major portions of the country, scientists and administrators have been slow to evaluate and plan for a drop-off in visitors.
Turnstone, Blue Vista Eye $200M Investment in Sector
- The new partnership will pursue up to $200 million of new acquisitions and development opportunities in the RV park and outdoor hospitality arena.
Canada Allows Vaccinated U.S. Citizens to Visit Again
- S. citizens and legal permanent residents must be both fully vaccinated and test negative for COVID-19 within three days to get across one of the world’s longest and busiest land borders.
SSI: 63,246 Retail Sales in June 2021; 2nd Best June Ever
- The year-to-date data is just as impressive. There have been 325,032 retail registrations through the first half of this year, a 38% increase – nearly 90,000 units – over the 235,506 registrations in the same period in 2020.
Keystone RV to Add Solar Power as Standard Equipment
- “Over the past few years, we’ve seen demand for solar power skyrocket. As the market continues to expand and groups like Harvest Hosts, Campendium and Hipcamp offer non-traditional campsites, we expect this trend to accelerate,” said Josh Miller, vice president of sales.
Towing with an EV: Could Electric Trailers be the Future?
- An electric trailer could solve the largest problem when towing with an electric vehicle: You might only go half the distance on a charge while towing.
RVTI Announces Class Schedule Through Spring 2022
- Current and future RV technicians can complete Level One and Level Two classes through live, in-person instruction taking place at the RV Technical Institute campus in Elkhart, Ind. The Level One course is a weeklong class, and the Level Two course is four-week class. Both courses include classroom instruction, hands-on labs and certification testing.
RVWA to Host Breakfast Panel Event During Open House
- The panel discussion, titled “Traveling Into The Future,” will feature THOR Industries President & CEO Bob Martin, Lippert President & CEO Jason Lippert, and RV Industry Association (RVIA) Spokeswoman Monika Geraci.
MORryde Breaks Ground on Manufacturing Plant in Elkhart
- That campus, located south of Beck Road between County Roads 17 and 19, already contains four other plant buildings owned by the company that are used for powder coating, step assembly, robotic welding and other uses.
Grand Design RV Names Natalie Bussard Marketing Director
- Bussard joined the Grand Design team with eight years of marketing experience including media buying, client and brand management, as well as public relations. She previously operated as Strategy Manager and Brand Manager for the Solitude and Momentum lines.
RV Owner Demographics: Overview of ‘The Escapist RVer’
- The “Escapists” cluster comprises 16% of RV owners. They enjoy the freedom that RV travel provides and particularly enjoy water-based activities and scenic locations.
Patrick Industries Inc. Completes Acquisition of Coyote Mfg.