RV Industry, Camping News for Week of May 10May 14, 2021
As northern-tier RV parks and campgrounds begin to open for the summer, most are reporting a continued surge in interest in camping and RVing.
Not a huge surprise to individuals who work within the outdoor hospitality industry as this trend has been ongoing for more than a year now.
This week’s top news stories continue to highlight the growth of the RV park and camping sectors, and the RV industry, including expansion news from Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park Camp-Resorts, an increased focus on hiring issues and partnerships that are helping to raise awareness.
Time to dive in!
OUTDOOR HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY
With Slim Labor Market, Park Owners Thinking Outside Box to Attract Employees
- Private parks are facing another year of having to do more with less — more work with fewer employees or work campers to do the jobs that need to be done.
Jellystone Parks to Open First Utah Park, Fourth New Park this Year
- “There is great demand among families for new and better camping options in the West, and we are fortunate to have territories still available to investors looking to seize this opportunity,” Jim Westover, vice president of product development and sales, noted.
Kampgrounds of America Offers Financial Incentives to Encourage Franchisee Expansions
- KOA’s Royalty Incentive Program, which offers a reduction in franchise royalties with qualified developments, supports a newly created role aimed at increasing revenue for campgrounds.
Arizona Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds to Get New Executive Director
- Susan Brenton, a trade association management professional who has represented the Manufactured Housing Communities of Arizona since 2003, has been selected by Arizona ARVC’s board of directors to become the association’s next executive director.
Kampgrounds of America Teams Up with Dreamworks Animation to Highlight New Movie
- The partnership focuses on a fully integrated marketing campaign across a number of tactics. These include giveaways, a co-branded webpage, email and paid media. The partnership also includes special Spirit Untamed co-branded merchandise available exclusively at KOA campgrounds.
Camping World Launches RV, Camping Furniture Line
- The Thomasville Recreation RV and camping furniture collections will feature high-style designs that follow both classic and modern trends.
ARVC is Encouraging Members to Voice Opposition to New Tax Measures
- The legislation proposes raising the top capital gains rate to 39.6% and eliminating the stepped-up basis for inheritance, both of which could force the next generation of business owners to downsize or even sell their business just to pay the tax bill.
The Ohio Senate is Set to Take Another Look at an Inherent Risk Bill
- The Ohio House voted 64-26 for House Bill 229, which would grant civil immunity to private campground operators for injuries stemming from risks inherent to camping such as darkness, campfires, wildlife, rough terrain and negligent fellow campers.
Go RVing Takes a Look at the ‘Casual Camper’ with Demographics Study
- “Casual Campers” comprise 39% of total RVers. Only using their RV for a few weekends a year in the warmer months, Casual Campers have thoroughly enjoyed the RV lifestyle and its provision of relaxation and an escape in nature for years.
SSI: Retail Sales Up 52.5% in March, Sets Record at54,829
Baird Sentiment Index Shows Dealers Remain Optimistic
- Results of the latest Baird RV dealer survey, conducted in partnership with the RV Dealers Association (RVDA), suggest that responding dealers are positive on both current conditions (80 out of 100) and the 3-5 year outlook (60). A reading over 50 is positive.
RVDA of Canada Names Anita Lien as Director of Marketing
- Lien joined the RVDA of Canada in 2008 and has served as the association’s program coordinator since that time.
Campers Inn RV Acquires Second US Adventure RV Location
- “We are thrilled to bring the remaining US Adventure RV store into the Campers Inn family. As with the addition of the Naperville, IL location, we are excited to be able to expand our dealership locations in the Midwest,” said Jeff Hirsch, president/CEO of Campers Inn RV.
RVRA Survey: Half of RV Rental Dealers Plan to Expand
- With the surge of interest in RV travel, RVRA Chairman Scott Krenek recommends that people who want to take an RV rental vacation book as soon as possible to get their desired dates and the unit that fits their needs.
RV Owners See Income Booming from Hot Rental Market
- RVNGO.com, an RV rental website, went from 2,000 hits a month pre-pandemic to now nearly 40,000 hits a day and peak season is right around the corner.
Motorists to See Relief with Restart of Colonial Pipeline
- From the time the pipeline was taken offline on Friday until Thursday morning, the national gas price average increased seven cents. That pushed the average to $3.02 this week – the highest average since October 2014.
ORR Set to Host Virtual ‘Partners Outdoors’ Event June1-2
- Partners Outdoors has been the premiere venue where stakeholders from the federal agencies, business and non-profit sectors come together to discuss the future of outdoor recreation.
Canadian Officials Tout Economic Impact of RV’s, Camping